CPA Athletics is proud to work with STAR Physical Therapy as our preferred primary care provider for physical therapy and training needs. The Academy has trainers on site each day through the partnership with STAR. All middle and upper school coaches complete extensive annual training on athlete safety including concussion prevention, detection, and protocol, CPR, and emergency medical training.
CPA is the recipient of the National Athletic Trainers’ Association (NATA) Safe Sports School award for the CPA athletic program. The award champions safety and recognizes secondary schools that have met the recommended standards to improve safety in sports. In addition, the award reinforces the importance of providing the best level of care, injury prevention, and treatment. Safe schools complete the following criteria:
- Create a positive athletic health care administrative system
- Provide or coordinate pre-participation physical examinations
- Promote safe and appropriate practice and competition facilities
- Plan for selection, fit function and proper maintenance of athletic equipment
- Provide a permanent, appropriately equipped area to evaluate and treat injured athletes
- Develop injury and illness prevention strategies, including protocols for environmental conditions
- Provide or facilitate injury intervention
- Create and rehearse a venue-specific Emergency Action Plan
- Provide or facilitate psychosocial consultation and nutritional counseling/education
- Be sure athletes and parents are educated about the potential benefits and risks in sports as well as their responsibilities
Anna provides sports medicine coverage for all varsity home athletic events and practices. She is also an Instructor of Upper School Fitness. She serves as an athletic trainer during the school day for emergencies only (7:30 a.m. - 2:50 p.m.) and assists in the athletic training room after school for practices and home athletic events.
Sports Team Orthopedic Doctor
Dr. Cook (Franklin Orthopedics) is a board-certified orthopedic surgeon that has served on the CPA sports medicine team for 18 years. He provides medical coverage for all varsity football games and varsity home basketball games.
Sports Team Neurosurgeon
Dr. Hubbard is a board-certified neurological surgeon that has served on the CPA sports medicine team for 8 years. He provides medical coverage for all varsity football games and some varsity home basketball games. He is a partner in the Howell Allen Clinic with Baptist Hospital. He and the Howell Allen Clinic also provide our school with the ImPACT Concussion Testing System.